Check out the latest collaboration with Fred Fields @Imakecustomcleats. The Air Force 1's LV8 x Legends Are Made came from World War II "Flying Tigers".
The First American Volunteer Team (AVG) of the Chinese Flying force in 1941-- 1942, nicknamed the Flying Tigers, consisted of pilots from the United States Military Air Corps (USAAC), Navy (USN), and Marine Corps (USMC), recruited under presidential authority and also regulated by Claire Lee Chennault. The shark-faced nose art of the Flying Tigers stays amongst one of the most well-known picture of any individual combat aircraft or combat unit of The second world war. The group comprise 3 boxer squadrons of around 30 airplane each. It educated in Burma before the American entry into World Battle II with the goal of guarding China versus Japanese pressures. The team of volunteers were officially members of the Chinese Flying force. The participants of the team had agreements with salaries varying from $250 a month for a mechanic to $750 for a squadron commander, roughly three times what they had been making in the U.S. pressures. While it accepted some civilian volunteers for its headquarters and chase crew, the AVG hired most of its personnel from the U.S. military. The group first saw combat on 20 December 1941, 12 days after Pearl Harbor (regional time). It demonstrated innovative tactical victories when the news in the U.S. was fulled of bit more than stories of defeat at the hands of the Japanese forces, and achieved such notable success during the lowest period of the war for both the U.S. and the Allied Forces about offer hope to America that it could at some point beat the Japanese. AVG pilots earned main credit, and also obtained battle bonuses, for damaging 296 enemy aircraft,  while shedding just 14 aviators in combat.  The fight records of the AVG still already existing as well as researchers have located them credible [citation required] On 4 July 1942 the AVG was disbanded. It was replaced by the 23rd Fighter Group of the United States Army Air Forces, which was later absorbed into the U.S. Fourteenth Air Force with General Chennault as commander. The 23rd FG went on to accomplish similar fight success, while keeping the nose fine art on the left-over P-40s. The logo was soon to be called "WarHawk".
Legends Are Made.